Sunday, September 9, 2007

One year ago today...

I was with friends in Duvall, WA having a wonderful visit. It was bittersweet in that Marae was recuperating from surgery, I was mourning the loss of my father, and we were reeling from the most recent set backs in our adoption process. All in all, it was a fabulous time with old friends who have been dear to us for over 20 years now. We ate together, laughed alot and the girls even got a little shopping in! While in an antique store, we spotted the sweetest baby book with beautiful illustrations. I picked it up - and again - hoped that one day, I would need one just like it. We also spied an adorable hand-knit baby outfit that possessed that timeless quality, being specially made by loving hands for a hoped-for baby. I thought, if I ever get a baby of my own, I would love to dress him in something from the past, so to remember that babies are special today, yesterday, and always.

While we were sleeping, little did I know, in Newport, Oregon, the most special person was coming into this world and would be joining our family!


The story of how God brought Daniel to us is a miracle. Not to sound cliche, but ALL babies are mircles - each and every one. Labor can be long but the reward is immeasurable.

It's been a year so we had to CELEBRATE!!!!


We had a farm theme for his party and lots of fun games -



"Pin the Tail on the Donkey" - "Egg Toss" - and a fun ruuning relay game of my own invention called "Pen the Pig!"

The party was a group production with many thanks and MUCH credit going to Jim (of course) along with my Mom, my sister Sue and her two "babies," Amber and Joey. 33 adults and 26 kids later, Jim asked, "We're not having a party like this for Daniel every year, are we?"

Daniel has been and will continue to be the greatet joy in our lives. Jim and I feel so blessed to have him. He shows his gratitude for a GREAT BIRTHDAY PARTY! It was a good day.

By the way, my friend Marae sent me that baby book and hand-knit outfit within a few days of bringing Daniel home. Who would have known the hoped-for-treasures were found the very day that Daniel was born.

8 comments:

Team Johnston said...

Happy Birthday little Daniel! Hope you had an awesome day! :)
~Danielle

Julie said...

Angie~ it sounds like you had so much fun! Sorry that we couldn't be there ... what a crowd, though!

Daniel is a miracle for you and Jim, and what a special addition he has been to your family. He is such a beautiful baby! You two are truly blessed!

Happy 1st Birthday, Daniel!

Valerie of Momia said...

Angie, you have the most incredible adoption story of ANYONE I've ever known. I didn't know this little part, though, on the day he was born. Another little thing to make it even more special.

I've tried to put myself in your shoes a couple of times. Wake up like every other day. Go to work like every other day. Get an amazing phone call unlike any other day. Come home later that day with a baby. Your baby. The one that you've been praying for for years.

Yes. The most incredible adoption story ever.

Daniel is a wonderful, precious little boy. You two are so blessed!!

How sweet that your friend bought you that book and outfit. That is so very special!!

And, you two are crazy people. I can't believe how many people you stuffed in your backyard!! What a day to remember!

momaof4 said...

OH how CUTE!!!
Wish we could have been there. Looking forward to many more. :)

Sharon said...

What a beautifully written post about your beautiful son! That was wonderful to read.

Happy birthday, little guy! I'm sure your party was tons of fun~your parents know how to throw a great shin-dig!

Christy said...

Many thanks for a beautiful post from a crying Aunt Christy in Cali who sadly was unable to attend. I can almost taste that cake! I wish I had been there to lick his tiny fingers and make him giggle. Happy Birthday to my much loved blessing of a nephew! Your Uncle Danny and I cannot wait to see you again. God blessed us all with you Lil Dan! Love Aunt Christy

Molly said...

Happy birthday sweet Daniel. I had planned on calling, but time got away from me...sounds like there were lots of dear friends to help him celebrate. (I only wish I could have been there!)

Truly God is faithful, and I love the title of your blog. That is the Angie that I love and cherish, a friend who not only knows that God is more than enough but believes it as well.

Give Daniel a hug and kiss from me and I hope to see him sometime soon.

Angela said...

I came across your blog from either Becca's or Sharon's and I was so excited to see your sweet little baby. I remember how excited I was for you guys when he came into your lives.
Angela
(Suzanne's daughter)