Thursday, May 3, 2007

Where is March?

March!? Where is it? Did it already pass? I never saw it! How could that be.
Time just keeps "marching" on (I am married to the greatest punster that ever lived so I had to throw that one in) and I can not keep up. My mother used to tell me how fast time will go by once I am older. I never believed. In my high school years, I started to notice it. Summers were just never long enough. Then in my 20's, they got ever shorter - I would blink and it was time for school again. When I entered the workforce, I lived for Fridays - payday and the weekend! Thursdays went by slowly but everything else was warp-speed. Time has sped up at a consistant rate every year of my life.

Then I became a parent - I'm so confused. What day is it? Is it Tuesday? The 5th? No - Thursday the 3rd - yeah, thats it. Thursday the 3rd - of May, yes May - I do know we are in May!

My whole reference for time and schedule has been stripped away. I went to an office of some sort every day from 8am to 5pm for about 20 years (yes I'm serious, 20 years). You stare at a computer all day long jumping in and out of your calendar system, looking at the date constantly. Of course you know what day it is - you stare at it all day long. You surely know the time because every phone message you write has the date and time filled in. You look at your watch or a clock about 25 times a day. NOW - I don't know anything. I have no point of reference. I just do what needs to be done. Do you know, I am having trouble remembering my daily medications (thyroid - not prosac as some of you might think - although that would be fine if it was) because I get up at a different time almost every day and do something different each morning. It just depends on the needs.

For example, today, I woke up around 5am because my husband who said he was cold the previous night put an extra blanket on last night. We sleep with a down comforter and he added another. Yes, another DOWN COMFORTER. Well, by about 4:30 or 5am, he was too warm and I woke up to a HUGE wad a blankets all stacked up between us. I couldn't move too well and my back felt 10 degrees warmer than my front. Sweating was the next step and I wanted out of the pile of blankets before that started. Of course, then I had to pee. It was all over then. I was awake and loading the washer! (I need some undees!)

Now - I'm learning about this blog thing. Sharon helped me with adding music! Yeah! I love it. I wanted to learn how to add "friends" and started that the other day. I just added a few and thought, some of my friends are going to visit and not see a link to their blog and be sad. I think I got everyone this morning! I had trouble with one - I don't have permission. So, if you don't see your link on my blog, let me know but be sure I'm invited. I want to learn how to have my picture post with my comments - like Sharon and Becca!

I am becoming more accustomed to this new lifestyle and look forward to the day I don't have the go in to the office at all (for those who don't know, I have still been working part-time and bringing Daniel into the offic with me). I go in 3 to 5 days a week depending upon the needs. It's been such a blessing and my employers are jewels but it's time to take the plunge - the full-body plunge into my new job - Stay-at-home-Mom! It's a job I have always wanted and I am so glad to have it!

Back to the topic! (that's another thing by the way I am struggling with, staying on task) Time. Who can fully understand it and/or master it? Not me. I do want to continue to grow in the area of using it wisely. I loved hearing about Leslie's new schedule and her daily focus. I have a great appreciation for good plans but am in awe of those who actually follow their plans. Pray for me to come up with a plan that I can and will follow. I need help getting a little bit of a handle on my days and try to stick to a schedule.

Any and all ideas are much appreciated.
I had to throw in these pictures to prove my point - time is marching on!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi friend! Time does slip away, doesn't it?? I am a routine rather than a time schedule sort of person. I try to wake up at the same time each day, that is a real challenge for a night owl like me.

My new 'schedule' gives me some overall goals to meet for that day, and that's it. That way I don't feel guilty if I don't meet a time frame-because inevitably I won't!

Keep us posted (ha!) on your progress. Having a baby of Daniel's age is an extra challenge because he is still working out his schedule and it is changing as he grows. It'll be much easier for you when he starts settling in to more of a routine too.

You are doing great, and you remind me to appreciate every minute with my kids.

Sharon said...

You mentioned me twice! That made me feel very special! : )

I am not a schedule person. I've never liked being dictated by a piece of machinery like a clock. I prefer to think that I own the clock, not that the clock owns me. I am never late for anything...I stick it to the clock! : )

I am more of a free spirited list person. I prefer knowing everything I need to accomplish by the end of the day or week or month, and doing them as I see fit, trying not to stress about it too much. I like each day to be different than the one before. That's just how God made me, and I'm realizing that that's ok!

Now, about getting your picture on your comments: From your dashboard, click on "edit profile," then scroll down to the section entitled "photograph." (makes sense, I guess!) Then you'll need to have a URL address for the picture that you want, which means you'll have to post your picture somewhere on the web before hand. It's not the same as adding pictures to your posts from your camera. The easiest way to do this is just to make a post using your picture. Then once it's posted and floating around the web, right click on the photo and select "properties" and copy the URL address. Paste it in the "photograph" section of your edit profile page and you're good to go! Don't forget to hit Save, first!

There. I am officially your company's computer guy.

Good luck! ; )

Alida said...

Oh Angie, as a teenager I thought my mom was just nuts. She'd walk around the house saying things like, "pick up your tennis shoes", while pointing at my boots. A couple of times she woke me up, made breakfast, drove me to school...only to realize it was Saturday. I often worried I'd go crazy at a young age. I did at 36. Luke was born and my mind turned to mush. First I was just so tired and nervous about this life that was mine, but not really. Then I started calling his stuffed elephant...bear. It was just downhill from there. Yesterday I asked Isabela to put a paper in the trash for me, only to be informed that her name was Peach. Yeah! Like I don't have enough to remember. So hang in there.
By the way, I'm happy to report my mother is completely sane. (It happened when I turned 24 and moved out!)

Alida said...

One more thing, it's O.k. not to have a schedule.(Unless you absolutely need one) When I became a stay at home mom, I used to stress because I felt like I needed to be up at a certain time. One day I came to the realization, "I stay home." I don't have to be up. Enjoy Daniel, that's what it about. (the laundry never gets done anyway)

Julie said...

Angie, I am with you! Time FLIES! I can't believe both of my big kids will be in High School next year. Thankfully Lily can keep me company!
I just try to go about my day around Lily's nap. If you get everything you want done, great ... if not, there's always tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day!

Molly said...

Your doing a great job with your blog updates. It looks great.

Thanks for sharing about the transition of time in your life. That must be tough, but a tiny bit fun? Daniel is the sweetest. How special that you get to "work" through all of it with him by your side.

HappyMomma2 said...

Oh no, you must mean me. Sorry Angie. I will re-send you an invite. I loved your blog today-it reminded me very much of myself.